Best Medium Firm Mattress for Back Pain
Last Updated on
You will be very happy to know that medium-firm mattresses are being the most popular mattress in the market today. These mattresses are also good for back pain. So, in today’s guide, I’ll share with you the review of the best medium-firm mattresses for back pain.
After the day’s work, especially when you need to rest, you would definitely find yourself on the bed. Research studies have proven that your bed could define your mood, and could vary the wellness of your total being. Therefore it is important to have a good bed. With this, every detail that makes up a bed should be treated carefully.
Primarily, what makes up a bed and its comfort is the mattress. A bad mattress could cause back pain, uneasiness, e.t.c. With this, it is important to know the best medium firm mattress that works best for you. “For you”, is very important in this context, as what might work best for another may not be what would work for you.
Best Medium Firm Mattress for Back Pain 2019
1. Perfect Cloud Elegance Gel-Pro
The perfect cloud elegance gel pro mattress is economical and comes with multiple layers. The many sheets are ideal for all sleeping positions including those who sleep on their back, stomach and sideways. The major problem with the mattress is its initial strong smell and heat retention. Those who have a problem with strong scent will have a difficulty coping with the bed immediately after the purchase.
The bed can support sleepers weighing 40 – 400 pounds without staining. The thick foam cradles heavier people and relieves pressure. The multiples layers give the bed firmness. Thus, the sleeper will find the bed comfortable.
Its cover is made of high-quality material. The cover is hypoallergenic and also resistant to mites. The cover also enhances the quality of sleep. The mattress can use on adjustable frames.
It consists of 1.5 inch or ordinary foam and 1 inch HD of air infused into the memory foam. The mattress transit layer offers baby like cradling effect to the sleeper. This layer is 2 inches thick and made of gel memory foam. The core support layer is 7.5 inches thick and provides firm support to the bed. It also helps the sleeper from sinking into the bed.
Don’t break your back lifting the bed as the bed is dense. You’ll need a helping hand to lift the mattress.
- The mattress comes with four layers of superior quality foam.
- It retains heat to a small extent.
- The mattress has incredible breathability.
- It relieves pain to the sleeper.
- It is an orthopedic bed that aligns the spine correctly.
- It helps in reducing pressure points.
- The bed is comfortable irrespective of the sleeping positions adopted.
- The cushion is CertiPUR-US certified.
- It releases less gas on opening which is most of the time is irritating.
- Although the mattress comes with a cover, you will still need to purchase a waterproof sheet.
- The edges of the bed don’t have a good reinforcement. It will sink when you sit on the edges.
2. Casper Mattress
The Casper mattress is an improved version of the memory foam and latex mattress. It comes at a reasonable price that is pocket-friendly. The memory foam gives it the best support base. The cushion allows its user to sink comfortably into the foam while filling the areas curving away from the surface of the bed.
The foam relieves pressures on the head, back and shoulders. However, it takes time for one to adjust to its softness. Its base is made of latex which gives the mattress a springy, bouncy feel. The feel makes it easier to get out of the bed.
The cover of the Casper mattress is made of 100% polyester. The material is thick and soft on touch. On grabbing, the cover snaps back quickly to its original place. The protection is somewhat breathable and allows free circulation of air in the mattress. The flow helps the user to stay cool.
The mattress has four layers. These are the comfort layers, memory foam, transition layer, and the memory foam. The comfort layer is 1.5 inches. It is a soft layer that provides comfort to the user. It has similar characteristics to the latex foam. Thus, it adjusts quickly to changes in pressure exerted by the sleeper. The adjustment also gives the mattress a bouncy feel. The comfort layer serves as thermoregulation of the bed.
Memory foam falls just below the comfort layer. It is 1.5 inches and 4 lb in density. The layer responds slowly to changes in pressure and relieves pressure exerted by the sleeper. It also helps in the relation of the mattress temperature against overheating.
The transition layer is made polyfoam which is 1.5 inches thick and with a density of 2.5 lb. It is firm to allow for transition between the soft sheets and the base of the mattress. The foam used in the transition zone responds quickly to pressure which gives the bed a bouncy touch.
The base had a density of 1.8 lb and composed of 5 inches of poly foam. The layer also responds fast to change in pressure and act as the base of the bed. It gives the mattress the shape and supports the layers above it. The base also provides the cushion with some durability.
The mattress is portable as it is less bulky.
- The mattress is ideal for stomach and back sleepers.
- It offers great value for money.
- It provides the sleeper with pressure relief.
- It has different inner spring feelings.
- The mattress is bouncy and resilient.
3. Sleep Innovations Shiloh
The sleep innovations mattress is made up of SureTemp memory foam. The foam is 12 inches in thickness with excellent comfort. It is a good mattress for people who love sleeping on their sides. The mattress tries a balance between firmness and softness. The mattress uses an open cell technology which allows for free movement of air in the bed making you comfy during sleeping.
The cover of the bed is made of polyester/cotton material. The material wraps up the Shiloh memory foam. The stuff is easy to clean and also offers a delicate balance between comfort and conveniences. The bed comes with an anti-dust mite technology and is hypoallergenic as well.
The mattress is 12 inches thick. It has a 9.5 inches support base with a comfort layer measuring 2.5 inches. The width is kind of a lower amount of foam for a mattress of such thickness. Thus, the sleeper expects a little cradling comfort. The bed is best for heavier individuals than the light ones. This is because it provides the sleeper with the right comfort and support.
This is not a mattress you will consider carrying alone. It is incredibly dense, and you’ll require assistance to lift it.
- The mattress is medium to firm although its manufacturer only states it as firm. Once you lie on the bed, the entire body gets stretched out, and the sleeper feels sinking a bit then it stops.
- The mattress is ideal for heavier people. The 2.5-inch memory foam provides an excellent cradling effect to heavyweight sleepers.
- The bed adjusts itself to the posture of your body relieving pain on your back, shoulder and ankles. It is merely an orthopedic mattress.
- It is an affordable memory foam on the market. The price of purchasing a new sleep innovation Shiloh mattress is newly 20% lower than other beds.
- The odor that comes out of the box when opening a new bed may be too much for people with sensitive noses.
- The cushion doesn’t use any technology to regulate its temperature. Therefore, the sleeper can expect some warmth is coming from the mattress.
- The mattress adjusts its shape slowly after the pressure from the body. This makes it difficult to change sleeping position or getting out of the bed.
The truth is that this mattress is worth three times its cost.
4. LUCID 16 Inch Plush
The LUCID 16-inch push mattress uses a 3 lb density memory foam. The bed has three thick layers of foam that give the sleeper a comforting rest. It has a 1-inch layer made of cloth. The cloth is derived from bamboo charcoal infused memory foam. The foam creates long lasting and resilient foam.
The gel and natural memory foam complement each to make the bed comfortable. The bed is manufactured in the United States with imported materials designed to produce a high-quality product with great comfort.
The cover of the push mattress is composed of Tencel blend. The blend has 90% polyester and 10% Tencel lyocell.
The three layers of the mattress are 16 inches thick for greater comfort. The comfort layer is 6 inches thick while the base is 10 inches. The thickness helps to massage the hips, shoulders, legs and back. The mattress measures 72 inches in width and 84 inches in length. The bed has zero motion delivery, and it’s not possible to feel your partners’ movement.
The mattress is bulky and awkward to move alone. It is essential to seek help when planning to move the bed or adjust its position in a room.
- The bed is a medium firm which is supportive enough.
- The foundation is excellent for people with big bodies.
- The mattress comes at a cost friendly price.
- The cushion is made of several layers which suit many sleepers.
- It helps to resolve back pains.
- The mattress has a whopping 25 years with a limited warranty.
- The 16-inch thickness of the bed is made of memory foam.
- The mattress has a free to return policy within 30 days.
- The ticker foam used has a strong pungent smell which is irritating to most sleepers.
- The bed is too heavy and can’t be moved by one person.
- The latex must be position at the center so that it offers direct contact with the body.
- It takes a while before one adjusts to the bed.
- The major shortcoming of this mattress is that it retains heat.
How To Choose The Best Medium Firm Mattress for Back Pain
Back Pain is a silent killer, it could be a symptom of a lot of things including spine injuries. Research studies have shown that seventy percent of back pain cases are traced down to the type of mattress being used and with that, the type of mattresses you use could worsen your back pain, make you heal better or prevent it totally. With that being said, here are the factors you should consider if you have back pain and need comfort or you are trying to avoid back pain altogether.
The following things should be considered in choosing the mattress position for your back pain. They are:
- spinal alignment, and,
- pressure point relief.
So when choosing a mattress, ask yourself, does this mattress provide proper support? Good spinal alignment? And does it have a great relieve pressure point?
- Also, it is very important to understand and inquire about the mattress, it’s quality, and the materials it is made of. This is because some materials used in the design of mattresses are either too firm and does not provide comfort.
- Also when getting a mattress, get one that provides good back support. Any good mattress should be capable of providing support for the human natural curves and alignment of the spinal cord.
- Firmness. A good mattress for back pain should be firm but not too firm. The mattress should just be medium-firm. Research studies have proven that medium-firm mattresses provide more back pain relief compared to firm mattresses.
The cost-friendly mattress is suitable for all kinds of sleepers whether it is a sleeper who sleeps on his back, stomach or sideways. The sleeper will feel comfortable. The affordable price means nearly everyone can afford the bed.